winetimes.co - 13:00, 21st May, 2012
Salt and Pepper Calamari with Sweet Chilli Sauce
SALT AND PEPPER CALAMARI
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cornflour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cake flour
- 1/2 tsp (3ml) turmeric
- 500g calamari tubes, cleaned and sliced into rings
- Canola oil for deep frying
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sea salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) mixed peppercorns (black, white and/or rose)
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Toss calamari into flour mixture until well coated.
- Heat oil 4cm deep in a saucepan and fry calamari in batches, for around 60 to 90 seconds, until crispy.
- Drain on kitchen towel.
- Grind salt and pepper in a mortar and sprinkle over the hot calamari.
SWEET CHILLI SAUCE (makes about 350ml)
- 2 cups (500ml) sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato juice
- 1 cup (250ml) white wine vinegar
- 2 to 4 red chillies, chopped
- Splash of fish sauce, optional
- Place all the ingredients in a pot.
- Stir until sugar has dissolved, bring to the boil, lower the temperature and simmer for about 7 minutes or until slightly thickened.