winetimes.co - 11:00, 6th July, 2012
The fresh lime-margarita cupcake tastes like the love child of a stiff drink and an airy meringue. There’s lime juice and zest in both the batter and the buttery frosting—plus a dash of tequila, just for fun.
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, plus 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Grated peel of 4 limes, plus 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons gold tequila
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1/2 cup large multicolored sugar crystals
- 24 lime wedge candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Line 2 cupcake pans with baking liners. Using an electric mixer, beat 2 sticks butter and the granulated sugar until creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs, egg white and oil. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. In a large glass measuring cup, stir together the milk, 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. On low speed, mix in one-third of the wet mixture, then one-third of the dry mixture. Repeat twice, ending with the dry mixture. Mix in half of the grated lime peel.
- Fill each baking liner about three-quarters full with batter. Bake until the cupcakes spring back when gently touched, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using the electric mixer, beat the remaining 1 stick butter until creamy. Beat in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar. Beat in the tequila, and the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, lime peel, 1 teaspoon salt and the food coloring until smooth and creamy. Beat in the remaining 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar one-third at a time, until just soft enough to spread.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes. Add the sugar crystals to a bowl; lay each frosted cupcake on its side in the bowl and gently rotate to form a rim of sugar. Top each cupcake with a lime wedge candy.