The History of Hill&Dale
Hill&Dale wines have their home at Stellenzicht, one of the oldest vineyards in the Stellenbosch Winelands.
Stellenzicht’s legacy dates back to the pioneering history of the Cape when it was granted to its first owner, Barendt Hendrikse, as part of a much bigger farm in 1692.
The first Hill&Dale wines hit the market in 2001 and have been growing their following ever since. They have created these wines with the view to bring wine lovers estate quality wines at supermarket prices and they’ve surpassed the expectations set out by this brief.
The name, Hill&Dale, is a direct translation from the Afrikaans “Bergendal” which was a previous range of wines produced at Stellenzicht Vineyards in the 1990s. Due to the difficulties which some international markets had with the pronunciation of the “Bergendal” name, it was decided to change the name to Hill&Dale – which is very easily recognised and pronounced in most countries of the world. The name also points to the name of one of the properties, Hillandale, from where fruit is sourced for the making of these wines.