Sick of Morning Oats? Switch to Breakfast Polenta instead!
While I love oatmeal and eat it for breakfast for months and months out of the year, right around this time in the season I look for something else. Why not switch the oats for the delicious Coconut and Strawberry Polenta?
- 1 cup polenta [corn grits]
- 1.5 cups water
- 1.5 cups light canned coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
- 6-8 strawberries, sliced
- Preheat your oven to a low broil and spread the coconut on a small baking sheet.
- In a medium/large sized pot bring the water and coconut milk to a boil over medium-high, then whisk in the polenta until combined.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer and set your timer to 5 minutes. Leave the cover on during this time.
- Place your baking sheet on the top rack in the oven and leave the oven door cracked. If your oven only has high-broil, place the sheet on the center rack.
- Closely monitor the coconut and turn once when it starts to brown. This should take 2-4 minutes. Remove when golden brown and set aside. It will burn very quickly.
- Remove lid from the pot and whisk in the coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt. If the mixture has become too thick, thin it out with a little more coconut milk or water. If it’s too thin continue to whisk until it thickens.
- Place in bowls, top with strawberries and toasted coconut, and drizzle chilled coconut milk overtop.